Readers, allow me to introduce you to a veritable party in your mouth. Slash, this delectable Coconut Milk Risotto with Shrimp Recipe.
Not only is this recipe a snap to make (35 minutes, what what!), but its appearance and taste are so impressive for the level of effort that your family and friends will be raving, drooling and loathing your Insta #foodporn.
Risotto doesn’t have to be laborious and elaborate if you are craving it for a quick weeknight meal. As long as you give the rice enough time to slowly absorb the moisture from your liquids, you can make a delicious, low-maintenance risotto.
I love coconut milk as the primary liquid instead of broth (though I do use a bit of broth to kick-start the process) because it adds an ethnic dimension to the dish. This is also a very versatile recipe, in that you could swap out the veggies below for your faves.
Coconut Milk Risotto with Shrimp Recipe: Ingredients
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc, baby) + 1 glass of wine (for yourself to enjoy whilst cooking)
- 1 can (14 oz) Lite Coconut Milk (Thai Kitchen)
- 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth (obsessed with Simple Truth)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced carrots OR chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 pound wild-caught raw shrimp, tails removed
- Salt n Pepa (er, pepper)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add that rice and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes, until the edges of the grains are translucent. Add the wine and simmer until completely absorbed.
- Add the broth and simmer until absorbed (about 10 minutes, stir only once).
- Add the coconut milk and simmer until the rice is tender and creamy (about another 10 minutes). If the rice is not cooked through, add a bit more broth or hot water (1/4 cup at a time) and continue to cook until tender.
- While rice is cooking, season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat oil on medium in a nonstick skillet until hot. Add shrimp and saute until cooked through (about 3-4 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add veggies to risotto and cook on low for about 5 more minutes, until veggies are fork-tender.
- Stir in the parmesan and shrimp. Continue cooking on low for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve: spoon into bowls and garnish with parsley (I added chow mein noodles for another layer of texture – and because I’m clazzy).
I don’t count calories, so if you’re looking for nutritional deets, I’ve got nothin’ for ya. But as you can see, I shop organic and trim the sodium/fat as much as possible, without sacrificing flavor.
(AKA: this is not a fatty dish)
So, are you going to give this one a try? Let me know if you do, I’d love to hear your feedback. Tag your photo on Instagram with #GIGfoodporn so I can see how it turned out (@GetItGirlBlog).